Tuesday, August 4, 2009

RE: President in Chief or Sitcom Host

A fellow classmate, Rspector, wrote an interesting blog, President in cheif, or sitcom host?, discussing his views on the recent arrest of Harvard Professor Gates and President Obama's involvement in the issue. Below is my opinion of this article.

I'd like to start by saying that I respect your opinions however, I feel that you may not have all the facts. If your read the Police Report identifaction had been provided however, Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct in his own home. Neither of us were there so we are making our judgments based on what story we are reading. It is important that we read both sides and not just Officer Crowley's or Professor Gates's side. My personal take is that Mr. Gates's overreacted however, I feel that Officer Crowley also felt upset and arrested Mr. Gates's unfairly. I don't really know that race was the issue. If there would have a been a OLDER white man trying to force open the door would the neighbor have called the police? If an older white man had provided his ID and said, "Now get the hell out of my house!" Would they have arrested him? I respect members of law enforcement and appreciate what they do for the community, but if I have proven I am the owner of my house and there is no problem then they need to leave. It doesn't matter what I say or what I call them; It's my house, and I can say what I please in my house.

As far as the President getting involved, this might seem like a small insignificant issue to you, but to me it is a very important issue. Racism exists in America and is something that needs to be addressed. How can making Iraq a democracy be more important than dealing with issues of Racism in our own country? I do agree that it seems President Obama jumped the gun without seeing both sides of the story and that is disappointing, but he is human and makes mistakes. How many mistakes have our past presidents made? The important thing is that he attempted to fix his mistake by taking time out of his day to address the issue personally and hopefully help America learn to deal with these issues the same way. Wouldn't it be great if all issues of racism or perceived racism could be figured out and resolved over a beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment